This Advanced CSS Concepts course is to gain a solid foundation in developing and testing device-friendly websites using the power of CSS.
About this course
This course is part of the Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Front-End Web Development.
In this computer science course, you will learn how to design, develop and test device-friendly websites using CSS, one of the core technologies used for building web pages. You’ll also learn how to use Flexbox, SVG images, linting and other web developer tools to enhance your web pages.
This course is intended for:
- People who want to make a living (or side-income) from web page design/development.
- Basic understanding of HTML
- A working knowledge of basic CSS implementation
What you’ll learn
- Evaluating designs and recognizing the underlying layout
- Analyzing style guides to build your base CSS
- Building a semantic HTML and CSS foundation
- Using media queries to create a responsive grid system
- Building a base button module and extending it to a button primary
- Building a mobile header section that includes a logo and navigation
- Building a mobile hero section and positioning an image as a background
- Building a media object and including an icon font
- Transpiling SCSS into CSS and setting up a file structure
- Building a desktop header section with variables and media query mixins
- Creating an image frame module and color mask module
- Using Web developer tools and linting to help you find and fix issues
- Using Flexbox on the header, logo, and navigation to maximize available space
- Extending your Grid with Flexbox and reversing a row for medium and large device sizes
- Using SVG images and how to add them to a page using the new tag
Meet the instructors
Designer and Developer
Josh studied Computer Science and Visual Arts at the University of Northern Colorado. After creating his first website in 1997, he followed his passion to become a professional designer/developer in 2000. Over the years, he has worked in design, technology, and marketing departments with various types of businesses. Although his main focus is front-end development and UI design, he is also very familiar handling lead conversion, SEO/SEM, user experience, and print projects.
Senior UI Engineer
Senior Software Developer
Brent is a senior software developer who has worked as a lead and team member in agency and enterprise development for over 20 years. His clients include FedEx Office, Comcast, Coca-Cola, Cartoon Network, TIAA, Volskwagen, UPS, and Royal Caribbean.
Owner and Founder
Front Range Systems
Matt is owner and founder of Front Range Systems, a software consulting company focusing on custom software solutions for its clients. Matt has over 16 years of professional development experience, and loves solving complex problems with simple solutions. He has helped organizations through mentorship and training and specializes in professional and enterprise solutions with various technologies including HTML5, AngularJS, ASP.Net, WPF and C#.
Start Advanced CSS Concepts
Please use a Windows Live ID email address to register at the DataChangers Academy if you want to obtain a certificate after finishing the courses